Monday, April 15, 2013

CAPTURING SPOT NEWS

     It's been a while since I last wrote on my blog, but as many of your know, I've been the last month or so moving to Northern Wisconsin to take on a new career in the magazine publishing world. It's been a whirl-wind, but something that I am truly enjoying.
     While I may not be able to get out every day and chase after the spot news or cover sporting events like I did when I was at the newspaper, having a more set schedule with the magazine company allows me to still get out in the evening and try to do creative things with the images and make more art than news.
     I am freelancing for a few newspapers up here, so I still get my fill of news events to cover. One of those just happened the other night in Rhinelander. Sitting at home, relaxing after putting my daughters to bed and a whole flood of sirens could be heard in town.
     I looked out my window -- yes I still have that reporter's instinct to look -- and I see pretty much all of Rhinelander's fire trucks blasting by. I found out where the fire was and decided to take a drive out there to get some photos for the local paper.
     The house was only about 4 blocks away from where I live now and flames were shooting out from the upper window and lower windows. Power lines were down across the yard and in the road. It was a mess.
     Thankfully everyone was able to get out of the house ok.
     It was an adrenaline rushing getting the photos for the paper and doing what I used to do everyday, but once I got home, I was glad I didn't have a deadline to worry about and could relax.
    I'm still getting use to all the changes, but I'm enjoying life right now.
    Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment