Thursday, July 12, 2012

A LITTLE REST

     Here I am in the middle of my vacation week and I'm at home relaxing and going through some recent photos.
     Yep, pretty exciting vacation, eh?
     Just before going on vacation, it was pretty crazy with 100-plus degree days, an accident on the Wolf River claimed a rafter's life, parades, water fights and more.
     In the few days where the temperature soared above 100 with high humidity, we knew we needed some photos showing folks cooling off or beating the heat. I learned that one of the youth soccer teams would be having some fun with water balloons after their final game of the season, so I showed up a few minutes before the end of the game and got some nice images of the kids attacking each other.
     We also got kids swimming in the city's wading pool, jumping through sprinklers, resting in the shade under trees and eating ice cream.
     On the Friday before vacation, I decided to venture off to northern Menominee County to see if anyone was rafting down the wild Wolf River. Luckily for me, there was a group there going down the rapids just as I showed up.
     In the weekend before my vacation kicked off, I was assigned to cover Navarino Days. Navarino is a tiny town just outside of Shawano, but the celebration was pretty big. Starting with a parade that lasted about an hour, followed by water fights between kids, Theda Star helicopter landing, bike raffles, face painting and bands playing.
     It turned out to be a pretty good Saturday afternoon taking photos.
     Unfortunately, the day didn't close on a good note. At about 6 p.m. on Saturday, the county's dive team was called out to the Wolf River -- right where I was Friday getting feature photos -- for a report of a woman who went under and never came back up. The dive team found the young woman the next morning.
     Now, it's time for some rest and relaxation.




No comments:

Post a Comment