Friday, June 22, 2012

SUMMER LEARNING

     Back when I was a kid -- about two decades ago -- summer school wasn't considered to be fun. If you had to go to summer school is was because you had failed a class or needed some extra help in it. Back then the only subjects for summer school were math, science, English pretty much.
     Flash forward to now. After dropping off my own kids at summer school on Friday I decided to stick around for a bit to head into a few classrooms for some photos for The Shawano Leader's weekend edition. I stepped into the office and asked what classes would be good for images.
     Here are the four they gave me — Hogwarts, Messin' with Clay, Tool Time and High C's. First of all, Hogwarts? Really? A class about Harry Potter? Messin' with Clay is just what you imagine it being, a class where you work with clay. Tool time is where you learn how to build bird houses, gumball machines and more and High C's is wall climbing.
     Some other classes offered at summer school this year are football, Go Fish (where you learn about fishing), several cooking classes, card games, how to build robots and several drama and dance classes.
     Why couldn't summer school be like this when I was kid. Now days kids want to go to school in the summer months!
     Overall, I think my best images of the day came from the Messin' with Clay class. It was fun seeing the kids working with the wheels for the first time or seeing them concentrating on the details of their projects.
     My favorite shot was of a young girl putting some details on her hut that she was making. You can tell she's really into it, so I decided to break out the big lens and zoom right in tight on her face and the project she was working on. Turned out pretty nice.
     Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment