Monday, June 11, 2012

BUSY WEEKEND

     It was one of those weekends where it just seemed like everything was going on.
     Saturday kicked off with heading to Wittenberg to shoot some of the Tuff Truck competition at Wittenberg Community Days. Usually this is a pretty good event, trucks flying high, smashing into the ground and vehicle pieces flying off. This year, however, there was a low turnout of drivers -- just four. While it made for a quick assignment, I didn't get what I wanted out of it, but still walked away with a decent photo.
     On my way back to Shawano from Wittenberg -- about 20 minutes -- I decided to turn the scanner on in my car as there was nothing on the radio to listen to. After turning it on, I realized there was something going on near Pulaski, on the other side of the county from where I was. After listening for about five minutes it finally became clear there was a barn fire in that area.
     While driving down the highway I took out the GPS in my glove compartment and got it all set up for the address of where the barn fire was -- not advisable while you are driving to be doing this by the way!
     It took me about 30 minutes to get to the fire where fire engines were running up and down the small country road and first responders were directing the traffic along the highway. Luckily I have a pretty good relationship with the area's emergency responders and they allowed me to drive right up to the scene.
     The barn was a total loss and several animals were killed in the fire.
     After about an hour there capturing photos and getting information for a story, I jumped back in my car and cruised back home to get ready for a ride along with the local police department.
     From about 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. I spent doing a ride along with the police department's K-9 unit for a project I am working on.
     Here are some photos from the weekend. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment