Friday, May 25, 2012

POSTSEASON

      Many of our high school sports went into the postseason this past week and because of so much going on, I was able to get out and shoot a few of those assignments.
      My week kicked off covering a WIAA Division 2 track regional in Oconto where I saw probably some of the best athletes in our area. Several of those athletes went on to do well in sectionals to qualify for state later in the week.
     As I covered the track regional, I decided I would try a motion-blur shot and it turned out pretty good. It's of a Bonduel relay runner taking part in the 3200-meter relay.
     Normally my favorite photos to experiment with at a track meet are the long jump and hurdle events, but the motion-blur photo is probably one of my favorites this season.
     A few days later on Thursday I covered the Shawano softball team as they hosted Marinette in the first game of Division 2 regionals at Martzke Sports Complex in Shawano. The Hawks won the game 10-0 with the middle innings being the best.
     Shawano scored three runs in the third inning and four runs in the fourth. Shawano pitcher Roberta Ponfil wrapped up the game by hitting a 2-run homer in the sixth to win by a 10-run rule.
     There's still plenty of weeks left to the spring sports season as the postseason continues, so here's hoping to more of those assignments.
      Enjoy the weekend!

A Shawano runner steals home plate in the fourth inning of their game May 24 at Martzke Sports Complex in Shawano. Shawano won the game 10-0 and the Shawano runner was safe at home with the Marinette catcher dropping the softball.

A Bonduel track athlete runs the first leg of the girls 3200-meter relay at the WIAA Division 2 track regionals in Oconto on May 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment