Friday, May 18, 2012

CAPTURING DEER

Feb. 12, 2012
     I've participated in many ride-alongs with the Wisconsn Department of Natural Resources officials in my 10 years at The Shawano Leader. I've gone on a ride-along with a DNR fire ranger during the spring fire season and this past summer I rode along with the DNR fisheries folks while doing a fish survey on Shawano Lake.
     This past week I decided to spend a day with a DNR crew conduction a deer capture near the Shiocton and Navarino areas for the department's Fawn Recruitment and Buck Mortality Studies.
     On Wednesday, Feb. 8, I drove to Shiocton to meet up with DNR research scientist Christopher Jacques and his crew. We spent the better part of the day checking the 40 traps set up near Shiocton, Deer Creek and Clintonville. By the day's end we had captured two adult does and one doe fawn.
     It was interesting seeing what the DNR do with the deer once they are captured. After an animal is sedated, the adult does go undergo a series of tests -- ultrasound, blood work, ear hair gathering, body measurements, tooth extraction and finally fitted with a mortality sensing collar.
     You can read about the entire process through my two articles on The Shawano Leader's website, via the links here:
(Story on the DNR deer capture studies)
(My first-person account of the ride-along)

No comments:

Post a Comment