Wednesday, August 29, 2012

FOOTBALL, VOLLEYBALL AND FAIR TIME

     It's that time of the year again -- fall sports have kicked off, the Shawano County Fair is in full swing and school is just a few days away.
     Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I had to shake off some rust and step back into the world of sports this week to cover for a co-worker. Covering high school football, volleyball, soccer, swimming and more -- it's a rush.
     Eleven years ago when I started at The Shawano Leader, sports was my primary duty -- writing and photographing. It was something I truly enjoyed and have, to be honest, missed it a little recently. Last week, my first assignments back in sports included two local football games. The first game, pitted two rivals against each other. It was a good, close game between the Menominee Indian Eagles and the Bowler-Gresham Cats.
     Right after that game, it was the Bonduel Bears hosting the Peshtigo Bulldogs.
     While I love capturing the action and raw emotion of the game at the high school level, it also reminded me of some of the challenges covering the sport -- mainly the lack of good lighting. You see, I try to use as much natural lighting as I can, I've never liked the look of flash on football games. During the night game, I was shooting with 2500 ISO with a shutter speed of about 250, which is fast enough for high school sports. Thankfully Bonduel is one of our better fields for lighting.
     On Tuesday of this week I found myself covering Shawano tennis and Bonduel volleyball. Tennis was perfect because of the great lighting and volleyball wasn't bad either -- nice action. Volleyball was the sport I was the most worried about, having not covered volleyball in over a year.
     This week also marks a busy week news-wise in our area as the county fair kicked off. On Tuesday, I ventured down to the fairgrounds and made a few images of Rainbow Valley Ride employees putting together the rides. Those are some nice images because of the amount of vibrant colors each of the rides have.
     Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment